We remain open to serve our clients’ legal needs. In light of the recent concerns regarding the Covid-19 virus, protecting our clients remains our most important focus. We offer to all current and future clients to meet with us via phone or video conference. Please contact our office to discuss your other meeting options.

Criminal Defense & Personal Injury Attorneys For The Tacoma Area

Law Offices of Durflinger Oliver and Associates

Free Consults | Consultas Gratuitas

Criminal Defense & Personal Injury Attorneys
For The Tacoma Area

How Do I Know If I Was Convicted Of A Crime?

This is an important question, because only criminal convictions can be vacated. Here is how a case generally proceeds from beginning to end:

  • Police take a report (record witness statements, names, contact information, and list facts).
  • Police send the report to prosecutors.
  • Prosecutors review the report and file charges (sometimes months later).
  • The defendant goes to arraignment and pleads not guilty of the crime.

The case resolves as follows:

  • Guilty plea – Newton/Alford pleas, etc.
  • Guilty plea with deferred sentence
  • Guilty verdict following trial
  • Guilty finding following deferred prosecution
  • Guilty finding following failed drug court
  • Dismissal – on motion, following deferred, following SOC, etc.

Even though a sentence was dismissed, the Washington State Patrol (WSP) might still record the outcome as a conviction. For instance, even if the case was dismissed following a deferred sentence, your criminal history will still show as a conviction. Most dismissals are not counted as a conviction but are still public information provided by the WSP and the court where your case was heard.