Even celebrities sometimes run into dog trouble. Recently, Jennifer Lopez was dog sitting a Boxer that belongs to Casper Smart, her ex. Apparently, the dog got out of the house and bit a neighbor who was merely walking down the street. The bite was actually bad enough to break bones in the neighbor’s hand. There’s no word yet on the post dog bite prognosis.
If Jo-Lo’s neighbor had come to me right after the attack, I would have advised her to immediately do the following:
- Call 911– The injury may not seem significant, but you shouldn’t take chances. Our experienced dog bit attorneys have seen “minor” dog bites become infected and lead to lengthy hospital stays and even surgery. Even if you think that the wound is just a scratch, you should have a doctor evaluate the wound. Dog mouths and claws can host a variety of dangerous bacteria.
- Track Down The Owner – Notify the owner, so that the animal is secured or quarantined. This is very important if you live in an area where cases of rabies have been reported.
- Is There Insurance? –Although, your own homeowner’s Insurance may cover the injuries, also try to determine if the dog owner’s insurance offers coverage.
- Contact Your Local Humane Society– Report the bite to your local Humane Society, so that they can document the attack and tell you whether it’s happened before. If the dog has rabies, or other diseases, they may quarantine the animal.
- Preserve of Evidence– Take as many pictures of the wounds and where the attack occurred as possible. You also want to contact potential witnesses as soon as possible and ask them to write a brief statement about what they saw. Save any blood stained, or bite damaged clothing, as you may use this to negotiate the case, or in trial. Finally, you should take daily pictures of the wounds to show the progresss of healing, and keep notes detailing your recovery.
You can trust the experienced injury attorneys at Durflinger Oliver & Associates to do everything possible to help your family after a dog bite injury. Call us today for more information on your rights and options.
Call Us 253-683-4180
Durflinger Oliver & Associates PS
Tacoma, WA 98402